Monday, May 31, 2010

Duelling Heidis

Moggy and I were making Heidis at the same time on the weekend, and had a virtual sew-along over the innernets. Fun! We used similar prints too, which I didn't know until she had finished her muslin.

This is my Heidi number 2, which I made out of a stash fabric to test the size 34 bodice. It's a much better fit than the 36, but I think I'll need to take a smidge out of the width of the neckline on the final version as it still gaps when I move. Although it may be the open pleats causing the billowing I guess. A small bust adjustment wouldn't hurt; I think Burdas are drafted for a C cup, aren't they? I'm no C.

The fabric is from the stash, a quilting cotton from a couple of years ago called 'Touched by the Sun' by RJR. (I can't find it online anywhere now.) It really didn't need lining, but I lined it for extra practise before doing the vintage fabric version. With the thick cotton lining it feels substantial, like a vintage frock. I'm enjoying that.
I am debating whether to do this skirt on the final version. There are 7 pieces (including the pockets) which make up just the front of this skirt, yikes! I do love the pockets, but a simpler skirt (like on Moggy's version yesterday) would look fine too, since the details are lost on these busy prints. I could always put in side seam pockets. What do you think?

Sunday, May 30, 2010

I am Heidi (and so can you!)*

I finally got back into sewing this weekend - it felt fab.

Why did it take me so long to get onto the Heidi bandwagon? She's a good quick sew, and just plain lovely! I shoulda know when such stylish and tasteful sewing ladies such as Livebird, Erin Dressaday and my sewing compadre kitty have made such nice frocks.

Here's my (very) wearable muslin:

7cm length added to bodice (it's rather a highwaisted pattern, and I'm longwaisted at the best of times) - thanks to Livebird for this one!

I didn't use the Heidi skirt -as I've said before, Burda do seem to put fussy (in my opinion) details on their patterns that seem to make things fiddly to make. Also, you wouldn't have been able to see the centre panel etc it in the busy pattern. I used the plain pencil skirt from New Look 6699, and made the darts into pleats.

I made it in a stretch woven I got for $2.50/m at Spotlight - if (when!) I make this in a non-stretch I'll need to add a couple of centimetres. I might change the back bodice pleats into darts, but I'll see how I feel when I've testdriven the frock tomorrow.

I think I'll make it out of the rose on the right here. I've made a frock in the deer print on the left, but that isn't quite finished yet... and now I wish it was a Heidi.

* with apologies to Stephen Colbert.