Friday, February 20, 2009

Trying new things

We're playing around with the template of the blog, so you will have noticed a change around here. We finally made a picture header. About time too!

I made McCalls 9533 this week, view F, in a nice smooth doubleknit. No zip required, so really just 2 french darts, 2 side seams, and twin needle turn and hem armholes, neckline and hem. Very quick! It was a bit plain, so I sewed three red buttons on the front. I'm getting a lot of wear out of it already. It goes well with my surprisingly large collection of red shoes!

Sunday, February 15, 2009

I told you so!

Today I made up for yesterday:

First one was from the pattern I traced on Friday night (Butterick 8149)
I only used the top, with ol' faithful 6557 for the skirt.

The gathered straps make lovely sort of faux-cap-sleeves. I think I shall wear this to work tomorrow as it is going to be warm.

Next is another sunfrock. I bought the material at Spotlight last week, along with the material above (which is quilting fabric, "Cherry Plaid" by West 22nd btw).

Anyway, this is a floral stripe, also 100% cotton - a nice crisp smooth one. I used New Look 6557 again (view D bodice), but first I pleated the fabric then cut it out using the usual bodice piece as the lining.

I cut the midriff on the straight, and for the skirt I pleated two rectangles to fit the waist measurement. Consequently you can't really see that the fabric is a stripe - but you can when the skirt is on the move. The straps are a modified narrow version of the Butterick 8149 ones (because I liked them so much - plus the fact they are hemmed, not turned, which is nice and quick).

PS - If you click on the pictures, you can see more detail.