Monday, December 24, 2012
The fab herringbone print ponte fabric was found by Moggy, yay for fabric finder friends in other cities!
The bust darts sit too high because the neckline stretched out and I had to take it up and in at the shoulders, but I wear it all the time anyway.
Friday, December 21, 2012
Sunday, December 16, 2012
Saturday, December 15, 2012
It's from the Alannah Hill fabric section at IT INC in Brunswick St Fitzroy.
|I also got this cute cat fabric - it's voile-y, and the burn test tells me it's cotton.|
|Cotton decorating fabric from fabric.com|
|crepe and chiffon - destined for a reversible skirt|
Sunday, December 09, 2012
A gift for a colleague. It's a great pattern, very quick and detailed instructions to get a neat finish.
I used a metal trouser zip which I think looks extra swish.
Sunday, December 02, 2012
Sunday, November 25, 2012
I've had my eye on that for a while, and as I'm in the planning stages for a European trip in late March / April, when the weather will probably be quite changeable, and I aim to do carryon only for the fourishfiveish week trip., I thought why not a nice little convertible stole / scarf / bolero / wrap / blanky?
The fabric is a pea green wool-nylon that I picked up at the Fabric-a-brac that Kitty and I went to last year (? or was it the year before?) and the buttons are some cute plastic ones from an ebay stash bought yonks ago.
It's basically a rectangle - long enough to reach from wrist to wrist, doubled over and sewn (with a little gap for turning), turned, topstitched and then put on eight buttons and buttonholes (four each side each end, on opposite sides)
Here is is 1) buttoned into a bolero (folded along the longest side, buttoned together to make sleeves) and 2) folded the opposite way (so short side to short side) and buttoned so it's a bit like a poncho.
Saturday, July 21, 2012
Sunday, July 15, 2012
I've been sewing a lot, even taking photos of frocks! Just not posting, possibly because I have been making the same frock over and over and over. Vintage Butterick 8056:
The rut goes on! This one is in a green and cream houndstooth double knit I bought at fabric-a-brac in May:
The next one is View B with 3/4 length sleeves like this one again. The fabric is a grey and black ponte I got from Spotlight last year, it looks a bit like houndstooth too.
Friday, May 04, 2012
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Friday, March 23, 2012
No posts for ages oops!
Moggy and I are off on our trip very very soon, so we've been a bit distracted.
No new frocks to post, but I have made a couple of quick projects.
The Style Arc Linda pants in charcoal stretch bengaline. So easy and comfortable. I've been wearing these for work.
Another cowl top, this one in a rayon knit from fabric.com.
Friday, February 17, 2012
This fabric is so nice, it is thick but soft, and it drapes nicely. A frock I can't wear for months! Unless I take it as a tripfit to chilly Europe next month, of course.
Sunday, February 12, 2012
The first thing I did was shape the waist a little, but not too much because I wanted to keep the 60s shift style. I need some waist shaping to suit my short-waisted torso.
Monday, January 23, 2012
Behold the (now out of print) McCalls 5752, the perfect knit dress, in a spotty knit from the stash. It was a bit gapey at the neckline, so I sewed a deeper seam where the bodice attaches at the midriff and it worked out fine. I think I'll make this again, in a plain fabric. I like the 40s-by-way-of-the-70s thing it has going on. No? Just me?
I had enough of this rayon knit left over from making this frock to make New Look 6901, the cowl t-shirt. I've decided that I'm going to use any left over knit frock fabric to make tops.. Most of my stash bins are frock leftovers. They'll have to be easy tops though or else I'll never do it. Can't get much easier than this, no finishing of the cowl neckline required.
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
The latest frock, Butterick 9269, view b, the bodice in black linen/cotton blend and the skirt in stretch sateen snake, both fabrics are from Spotlight.
Purchased belt, as they say.
I scooped out the back and front necklines 1.5cm each, after looking at the pattern piece and thinking it looked as though they were too high. I think it was a good thing I did as it looks like the pattern illustration now. It would have been too high. I shortened the frock a lot. As drafted this frock would be nearly down to my ankles. After much pinning and photographing, I decided it looked best hemmed above the knee. I find it easier to decide hem length from photos rather than from looking in the mirror. Anyone else find that?
This is an unprinted pattern, and very fragile, so I traced it. Ugh. I hate tracing unmarked patterns. Trying to figure out which holes mean darts or are just grain line holes. No nice dark lines to trace over either. (I put sew-in interfacing over the pattern to trace).
Monday, January 09, 2012
Next I frankensteined Butterick 5672 again. I'm getting my money's worth out of this pattern! This time I used the bodice, but extended the shoulders for a more vintage look. I attached skirt D from New Look 6911, but decreased the pleats on the front from 6 to 4 (total) and left off the waistband.
Sunday, January 08, 2012
I've been too busy sewing to post!
One frock I've made is Butterick 5672
The fabric is a tweedy wool blend knit, with about 30% stretch across the grain. Not enough stretch for this dress, so I did put the zip in. I went up a size due to my fabric not being stretchy enough, but the pleats are pulling a little too much so it's probably still a skootch too small. Still it's comfy and may become a tripfit once I've road tested it.