Sunday, September 19, 2010

Rick rack pop-over

(I should have pulled it down at the front a bit, there are red buttons on the shoulders)

I took to wearing a cotton frock over my swimsuit last summer, so I could pop into a cafe or go to the shops on the way home from the beach. I was using the floral vintage frock I bought at the Alameda flea market.

The metal zip on that frock was a bit burny on hot days, so I decided to make a pop-over frock for this year.
I have had this rick rack print fabric for a few years, and looked through the pattern stash for a frock with a centre front seam I could chevron.

I found Simplicity 8024, and used the view shown in white, second from the right. Because I cut on the bias to do the chevron, I was able to forgo a zip altogether, yay!

Quick and easy, swingy and breezy!

6 comments:

The Long & Winding Bobbin said...

What a great dress!!!

Moggyo said...

Your chevrons ROCK! I am all admiration (and full of wonder as to why I didn't get that rickrack too. Why?).

Today, instead of sewing my sludgy green frock, I mopped the kitchen floor, organised another 1/3 of my long neglected room, did the washing and vacuuming, and made a curry. As you know, apart from cooking, these urges to clean are so rare that I felt I should give in.

But now I am sad I don't have a new frock for tomorrow.

Gay McDonell said...

Cute little number!

Gail said...

Forgive my honesty, but I think this dress would look better with a belt. The pattern matching is enviable.

Big in Japan said...

Awesome use of that fabric, your chevrons indeed rock!

lsaspacey said...

So cute! And that pattern is amazing, hopefully you will make more things from it.