Saturday, January 08, 2011

Three baby bibs and a frock

I haven't done much sewing lately. I'm going to New York in 2 weeks (yay) so I have been knitting hats, cowls and socks! I want to try and wear a frock while I'm there, despite the cold. I have a down coat and fleece-lined tights so I'm hopeful! (Understand that I have only been in freezing weather one day of my life. I have no idea if I can do this! Exciting!)

I have made a frock from wool interlock. I was inspired by this frock from Selfridges, which I saw on The Fashion Police when it was Dress of the Day:



I frankensteined this pattern (view F, just widened the neckline) which I have made previously:
...with the long sleeves from this pattern, which Moggy kindly sent me in a care package. I took about half the volume out of the sleeves due to lack of fabric, and also they were HYOOOOOGE.
I'm going to stay with a friend in NYC, who will be having a baby this year. I sewed some bibs (still need to attach velcro) which Moggy kindly embroidered for me using her awesome embroidery machine. One of them goes up to 11! I owe you Mog. Luckily I found some pink/black shot stretch bengaline for you, which I hope will partially repay your kindness!


10 comments:

Gail said...

Love the dress and I am more than a bit jealous about your impending trip to NY.

BrusselsSprout_Katharine said...

Love the dress too, I just found your blog today by coincidence--and another is I'm returning today from NYC. Freaky :) LOL

petalrose said...

Wow, New York for a visit or permanently? I would love to visit such an iconic city! Your winter dress looks great, definitely better with the smaller sleeves. Good luck!

Jo Ashcroft said...

Just found your blog and am in awe! I love your style your fabric choices and in particular your vintage patterns. I am feeling inspired- if only it weren't midnight in NZ> There is always tomorrow!

kitty said...

Thanks Gail, it turned out well, I hope I get to wear the frock in NYC, or else it will be many months before it's cool enough to wear it here!

Glad you found us BrusselsSprout_Katharine and Jo! Thanks for stopping by!

petalrose, only a short visit to NY; my first time for many years! I do want to swan about there in a frock! I'll report back on whether I did, or if I chickened-out due to the cold!

moggyo said...

Hoorah the bibs turned out well! And the frock. I do love to be an enabler....

Kat said...

Oh you should do a fabric trip to moods etc and take lots of photos to make us all jealous! Hehe

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love the dress! Great knockoff. Have fun in NYC--you should be ok in fleece lined tights and a big coat, scarf, and hat--you will do best with knee high boots as well.

cheekybaby said...

Baby bibs
Aww, great post ! Thanks for linking up!!

cheekybaby said...

Baby bibs
Aww, great post ! Thanks for linking up!!