I pondered what to make last night. I decided something wrappy-drapey would be good, so I thought of the very popular New Look 6429 (which I am wearing today for inspiration). Such a comfy dress and one that takes longer to cut out than sew...
However I decided to make a few changes. I put 5 cm through the torso since the other one sits a bit high.
I used clear elastic inside the turned-over neck so it wouldn't gape. I may have gone a bit overboard, but the gathers are in keeping with the side gathers and the back so I think that works OK (if I don't like it after a few wears I should be able to take some of the elastic out)
I also decided to square off the back bodice point and put on a straighter skirt with gathers:
It sits a bit lower than I planned, but I think the effect is rather 1940s which is just fine by me!