Saturday, July 21, 2012

Starting a new frock

I bought this fabric at Fabric-a-brac.  It was marked as silk, but I think it may be rayon.  I did the burn test but it had characteristics of rayon and maybe acetate according to this chart.  It really doesn't matter to me as it was reasonably priced and I love the colours and painterly smudginess.

I'm making it into Sewaholic's Cambie frock.

I've made the lining already, as a sort of muslin (thanks for that suggestion Moggy) and apart from pinching a little bit out of the back neckline (I always get the gapes there), all systems are go.  
Also, the lining is already made now, yay!  I only have 2 metres of this narrow fabric, so I am not doing the pockets, just a regular A line skirt.

I've cut into the vintage fabric, which I always find easier to do if it hasn't sat in the stash too long.  (If I don't use it fairly quickly after purchase it seems to become part of "the collection", sigh)

I'm stitching this on one of the featherweights, and pinking the edges. Even though they'll be hidden in the lining, I still don't like the idea of edges fraying in there.  Hopefully I'll have some time to sew this up this weekend.

I have a couple more TNT frocks to show too, I just have to take the photos. 

Sunday, July 15, 2012


Well, that was a long unintentional break from blogging!

I've been sewing a lot, even taking photos of frocks!  Just not posting, possibly because I have been making the same frock over and over and over. Vintage Butterick 8056:

The rut goes on! This one is in a green and cream houndstooth double knit I bought at fabric-a-brac in May:
 It's view C, but I extended the shoulders about 10cm to make cut-on cap sleeves.

The next one is View B with 3/4 length sleeves like this one again.  The fabric is a grey and black ponte I got from Spotlight last year, it looks a bit like houndstooth too.
 This is the same as the above, in a ponte I bought in Melbourne last year, in one of the Brunswick fabric shops.

As all these are knit fabrics, I omitted the zip and turned and topstitched the neckline and hems.
So quick and easy.  I did undo the hem on the green and cream frock because I didn't like how the stitching looked, so that one now has a machine blind hem.

So that's what I've been up to.  I've got more sewing to show, but will save that for another post.