Monday, February 07, 2011

What I've been sewing while not gallivanting in New York

I've been remiss with my posting the last couple of weeks - I'd say it was because Kitty was in New York and I didn't want to take over the blog while she's away... but that would be an excuse.

Anyway, since I last posted I've booked a holiday myself - there were super cheap fares for Brussels so I am off to Europe for a couple of weeks mid-March - Brussels, London and visiting a friend in the French countryside where I am already engaged to help sew some curtains!

Sadly I will miss the big fabric market in Brussels... but hopefully I'll find a fabric shop or two amongst the mussels and chocolate and frites.

Therefore I am thinking tripfits again... and I am dreaming of just taking a carry on bag - three frocks, a skirt, four tops (short and long sleeve), a coat and pashmina, a couple of pairs of shoes... I think the temperature will be a top of 15oC, but I wear short sleeves half the time when it's that temperature here so I reckon I think I'll cope... plus I think last time I was in London I saw a shop or two around the place.

So far my thinking is the scribbly frock from the last post, plus a long-sleeved black ruched-side frock (picture to come... those black frocks!) and a grey ponti pinafore I made the other week for that very purpose:

This should be warm and layerable... haven't done a test wear yet because it is still summery here. You can't go wrong with ponti + grey though!

This was adapted from Simplicity 2550 bought in the Xmas pattern shopping extravaganza - I used the skirt and cut a square neckline into the plain view of the bodice. I lined (bodice only) in some leftover black knit.

Not sure I'm entirely happy with the pleats in the skirt rather than darts, but I suppose I can always sew them down later.


I've also made a wearable muslin of McCalls 6081 from the same pattern shopping expedition, made from the etchy knit from the knit fabric shopping experience. I've worn it to work (with a top over as it is a bit bare) and around the house as a dress. It's a bit long as a skirt, so when I make the next one for travel I will shorten it a bit more.

Having said that, it may well be fine in the print as I seem to be going black and grey...

I also made a long sleeved top version of the wrap dress-top thingy from Butterick 5101 in black wool knit - again, photo to come.


I also made a completely nontravel related dress in big fat stretch woven spots, but the photo appears to have escaped from my computer for the meantime...

1 comment:

kitty said...

Yay for tripfits! Of course you will buy a suitcase over there to bring back the ENORMOUS present you buy me, right?