Saturday, August 17, 2013

*Peeks around corner; waves sheepishly*

Hi!  Coming out of winter hibernation, finally!

My sewing room is cold, ok?  And how many boat neck, three-quarter sleeved ponte frocks do you want to see anyway?  It's almost all I made for a year.

The weather has warmed up, and I made this frock last weekend out of some polyester border print I bought at Remnant Warehouse a while ago.  It's woven, no stretch, sort of a cross between a charmeuse and challis in feel, maybe?  I don't know,  it's silky, but still a bit crisp.  Twill?  Anyway, it feels nice for a poly.

It's a border print, but I needed a waist seam because I wanted to use the sparser diamond pattern in the bodice.  I couldn't just cut the dress out in the middle of the print because I wanted the sweet black hem border to remain.  Needs a press too, that hem, oops.

I have many patterns.  I don't want to seem boastful, but I'm a pattern thousandaire.
I didn't, however, have a pattern in the massive stash which was suitable for my (admittedly simple) needs.

So I made up a pattern, making a wide-ish bodice it so I didn't need a zip.  I didn't put darts in, but did slash and add pleats to the neckline to add a bit of interest.  The skirt is just two trapezoid shapes, and I zigzagged elastic onto the seam allowance at the waist.  I made a quick muslin out of an old bedsheet, to check I didn't need a zip (I didn't, yay!)

Hands on hips pose:


Belted:



Neckline pleats, with sweet 1960s horse pendant:



On the roll, showing reason a waist seam was needed, unless I wanted a mid calf length or maxi dress, which I didn't:


So, what have you all been up to?  *Whistles, tries to distract from own slackness*



6 comments:

moggyo said...

Lovely use of border print there kitty. (carefully avoids mention of HOW MUCH SEWING I HAVEN'T BEEN DOING).

Amy said...

Welcome back!! The dress is very cute.

Gail said...

Gorgeous. I wish I'd seen that fabric at the remnant warehouse!

The Long & Winding Bobbin said...

cute fabric! Love the frock :-)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Adorable dress! I really like the pleats you added at the neckline. And I had to laugh at your "pattern thousandaire" phrase. That is the perfect description for myself.

Neng Ziah said...

OBAT GERD
OBAT ITP
OBAT MIOM AMPUH
SUPLEMEN UNTUK MATA
OBAT KONDILOMA
PENGOBATAN HERBAL ALAMI
OBAT ALAMI TERBAIK
OBAT HERBAL KISTA
OBAT KANKER SERVIKS
OBAT KEPUTIHAN
OBAT ANAK HERBAL