Sunday, February 12, 2012

Release the Hounds(tooth)

A friend gave me this H&M frock late last year, because she knew I'd love the fabric.
It was too short, and a bit too boxy for me, so today I altered it.

Before:


After:

The first thing I did was shape the waist a little, but not too much because I wanted to keep the 60s shift style. I need some waist shaping to suit my short-waisted torso.

I found a similar weight black knit in the stash, and added a band to the hem to add length. I added bands around the sleeve edges too, to make the hem band look deliberate. Now it's much more wearable, yay!

9 comments:

Maureen said...

Wow! That is one of the best updates I've ever seen. Great Job.

Bernice said...

You've done a really lovely job of altering. It looks so much more grown-up and chic now. I discovered your blog last week and have really enjoyed reading about your creations.

Andrea B said...

Love it! Good idea adding bands to the ends of the sleeves, too.

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

What a great addition to the dress! This is fantastic!

tigergirl said...

This looks great! As others have said - very chic.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Great save! I find alterations so tedious but sometimes they are worth it.

Gail said...

A truly value adding alteration. In my opinion houndstooth needs black to avoid looking dowdy.

lorrwill said...

I wish you were still posting. This is too awesome for words. Seriously.

Melanie said...

Wow, I love your alteration on this dress. I saw that H&M dress recently and but they didn't have my size. I would have been sorely tempted if they had. All your sewing projects are outstanding!!