Saturday, August 14, 2010

Sewing, buying, stapling

It will take me a bit longer to know for sure, but I think having a dedicated sewing room has slowed my sewing down. I used to be motivated to finish a frock in a day, or at least a weekend, because I had to clear everything off the dining table. Now I can leave everything in the sewing room for weeks.

It could also be winter slowing me down, because it's cold in the sewing room, and I have resisted Mr M's offers to set up a portable heater in there as too indulgent and expensive. As much as Betty is a useful dressform, I still need to try things on myself to be sure of length and fit, and I really don't enjoy doing that in the chilly house. I admit it! I sew in my undies in summer. So much easier for multiple try-ons.

I just finished another Stepfrock, this time in a blue doubleknit. This fabric is softer and has more drape than the doubleknit I used for the black one, and the result isn't as crisp, but I like it nonetheless.

I scored three boxes of vintage patterns at an auction place recently, in two auctions over two weeks. I'd say 95% are my size, so what could I do? I had to bid. There would be perhaps 140 patterns in total, and I counted 29 duds, but most are from the 40s, 50s and 60s. Yay! I haven't had much time to sit and study each one, but Moggy is coming up again for the Fifties fair in a couple of weeks, so I'll save that for an evening activity for us.

I also bought about 4.5 metres of Sanderson's 'Dandelion Clocks' fabric on eBay at a bargain price. Here it is stapled onto a canvas on my bedroom wall. I still have heaps left to make cushions.

I don't have to try on cushions, so they have a chance of being made before summer.


7 comments:

Big in Japan said...

You are not alone, summer sewing in undies going on right now in Japan!

moggyo said...

I can't wait to see the patterns (and gnash my teeth because they aren't my size).

Nice frock - glad that blue doubleknit worked out well.

Must turn my mind to the Fifties Fair Frock!

Claudine said...

That frock turned out gorgeous! But those patterns make me swoon. What a great find!

amelie no mori said...

Nice dress! The neckline is really cute. And great pattern haul!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love the blue dress! I hate sewing in the cold, too. It's so inconvenient to wear clothes while sewing.

Unknown said...

Do you mind telling me where is the auction place that you got these patterns from? What a score!!

kitty said...

Kennis,

The auction place is in Leichhardt, Sydney, it's called Raffan, Kelaher and Thomas. I've only seen patterns there a couple of times though, it's mostly furniture and bric-a-brac.