Sunday, October 12, 2008
...but sadly, I'm a bit stuck so I may not have a new frock to post this weekend. I can't figure out how to put the collar on this dress. The instructions blithely say to sew the collar on, matching notches...and then unhelpfully show no illustrations of how you are supposed to stop the collar from hideously pleating and gathering in the process. Just happens by magic apparently, although not for me. I've tried putting it on every way I can think of. I guess I could try to topstitch it on. (Oh you may notice I did pleats instead of gathers. I found with this fabric the gathers made the front upper chest 'pouchy'. Not a good look)
I've pinned this thing so many times I'm starting to think I'll have to finish it without the collar. Sigh.
It doesn't help that I don't like the fabric. It's stash fabric which I must have thought was stretch cotton sateen before I knew any better. It didn't melt with the burn test so I thought it might be rayon. The back pieces stuck to the iron after I'd put the zip in of course, not before. So I had to recut the pieces, unpick the zip, do the darts again...grr.
Oh well. You can't win 'em all. I might put this aside and make an easy sundress instead.
Although, it's a lovely day for a bike ride...
Edited to add (within minutes!): Yay, I took the front pleats out, changed their position a little and I have finally been able to pin the collar on!
Edited yet again to add:
Here she is. Very similar to 'The Stepfrock' I made recently, except in a woven instead of a knit. I should have made it in some other colour instead of black I guess, for variety.
Edited yet again to show the frock on me:
Posted by kitty at Sunday, October 12, 2008